Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Finally, a good refried bean recipe.

I love bean burritos!! (Just ask any of my kids) After many attempts I finally found a bean recipe that tastes great.

2 cups of pinto beans ( I glean through them to see if there are any stones)
Soak overnight in lots of water (3-4 inches above the beans)

In the morning rinse beans
Cook beans with new water covering beans by 2 inches, and add 2-3 bay leaves for 2 hours
(Check occasionally so they don't dry out)

After the 2 hours take out bay leaves and add:
1 small chopped tomato
6-7 cloves of roasted garlic (Sometimes I add a whole head)
2-3 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup canola oil (I use olive oil)
(I add 2 TBS of green chilies)

Cook for another 1 1/2 hours. Make sure the water stays about 2 inches above the beans.

WALA I take off the excess water, (you may use some of this water to get the right consistency of the mashed beans, so don't toss it right away) I mash some and keep some whole. Enjoy

1 comment: